Wednesday, July 22, 2009

A lot-a frittata (I could not resist)


So, I was rummaging through my refrigerator and noticed that I had quite a few eggs that were about to expire. I also noticed that I had some left over leeks, mushrooms, and zucchini. And, always (always!), I had some Gruyere. It all became clear: time to make a leek, mushroom, zucchini frittata.

I love making frittatas, not just because they are a good way to use ingredients, but they are so versatile. Add a salad and some crusty bread: you have an elegant lunch or light dinner. Put it between two slices of bread, add some spinach, (maybe some more cheese), and some sort of sauce (apple butter? mustard?): you have a delicious sandwich. Cut it into pieces and toss it with greens, veggies, and a vinaigrette: you have a wonderful salad. I could go on, but I think you have an idea of what I will be eating for the next few days.

The method seems very simple.

Start with delicious ingredients



(the nutmeg adds so much warmth and depth, I love it.)

Combine the eggs, milk, spices, and cheese

Saute the veggies


Add the egg mixture


Cook for a few minutes until set, but the top is still runny (notice how it is getting set around the edges)


Sprinkle cheese over it. Pop it in the oven for 15 minutes

Let it stand for a couple of minutes

And voila! A delicious frittata:



Below, I have included two recipes. One for the leek, mushroom zucchini frittata I just made. And another Basic Frittata Recipe for whatever you have/would like to use.


Leek, Mushroom, Zucchini Frittata
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 Tablespoon butter
1 chopped leek, white part only
1 cup sliced mushrooms (I could have added more)
1 cup sliced zucchini (I could have added more)
8 eggs (normally you use 6 eggs, but I had 8 on hand)
1/4 cup milk
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1 cup shredded Gruyere, divided
1 Tablespoon Parmesan or Romano

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Stir in 3/4 cup Gruyere. Set aside. Heat olive oil and butter over medium heat in a 10 inch non-stick skillet. Add leeks and saute for 4 minutes. Add mushrooms and zucchini, saute for another 6 minutes. Lower heat to medium-low and add egg mixture. Cover and cook until set but the top is still runny, takes 2-4 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup of Gruyere and Romano. Wrap skillet handle in aluminum foil and place in the over for 15 minutes, or until puffed and golden. Let stand for 2 minutes. In order to get the frittata out of your pan, run a spatula around the edges. Then as you tilt the pan on its side, gently put your spatula underneath the frittata and lift slightly. The frittata should slide nicely onto a plate. Serve... anyway you want!

Basic Frittata Recipe
1 Tablespoon oil
1 Tablespoon butter
1/2 an onion or 1 leek
1 1/2-2+ cups of veggies (following Mark Bittman, I think you can really use as many veggies as you like, I think next time I will add more)
6-8 eggs
1/4 cup milk
salt and pepper
other spices if you like (freshly grated nutmeg, fresh basil)
1 cup cheese (pick one that melts well, like Gruyere or Fontina)
1 T hard, salty cheese for the top (Parmesan, Romano)

Following the method above.

No comments:

Post a Comment